Marica's meanderings

Monday, January 02, 2006

Dreams

Someone asked me last year: 'What are your dreams Marica?' I looked incredulously at the person, thought about it, and replied: 'I don’t have any!'

As I said the words, I was thinking: 'How sad.'

When did I lose, or more correctly give up, my ability to dream? I suddenly realised I had become so focused on getting through everyday that the simple pleasure of having dreams for me and my life had escaped me.

I tried to remember the last time I had a dream. I couldn’t.

The only thing that stands between a person and what they want from life is merely the will to try it and the faith to believe it is possible.
Richard M. DeVos

I tried to start creating my dreams. I struggled.

I realised I had goals …
Goals are dreams with a deadline

I remembered using this statement in my teaching. We have all had the concept of SMART (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, relevant and Time-bound) goals indoctrinated in us. I was okay after all - I had my goals. Phew, I must therefore have some dreams.

Then I realised all my goals related to my professional life. The irony is I am starting 2006 feeling very vocationally challenged. I now need to ask myself have I set goals that truly express who I am and that relate to what I want to be doing?

Look at me. I'm Mickey Mouse!

If you can dream it, you can do it. Don’t forget this whole thing started with a mouse.
Walt Disney

What has sparked this train of thought for me? Two things really: an electronic newsletter I received in my InBox this morning, and thinking about the year ahead.

A while ago I subscribed to Cheryl Richardson's weekly newsletter after reading some of her books. Some newsletters speak to me more than others, and today's really struck a few chords.

As I think about the New Year and making resolutions, I wanted to offer you a few suggestions... This year, you might resolve to:

1. Care more about what your soul longs for than what other people think.

2. Make your health a priority, not just because you want to look good, but because it stops the self-defeating "inner critic crawl" that runs like a ticker-tape in your head telling you how awful you are.

3. Spend more quality time with loved ones. A quick chat over dinner doesn't build soul-nurturing relationships like a good, long evening spent talking about the deeper issues of life, or better yet, a weekend. Invest your time and energy in the people who matter.

4. Embrace a desire that keeps pulling at you and do something about it.

5. Dream big! Rather than keep your most important dreams secret, have the courage to step out and give something big a try.

Once you've chosen your resolution (or focus) for the year, create a slogan to keep you inspired. It could be straightforward and direct, or funny and silly. Here are a few examples:


Healthy and Fit in 2006
Financially Strong and Rollin' Along
Dreaming Big and Dancing a Jig
Self Employed and Overjoyed!

I said on the last day of 2005 that I wanted to focus on nurturing my 'garden' this year. One thing I am not good at is looking after me. I need to remember that there is more to life than my work. I really like Cheryl's slogan of 'Healthy and Fit for 2006'. It has a ring to it and I can see that by spending this time nurturing my own being it will have spin-offs to many other aspects of my life. maybe I'll give this a try - that is once I have finished my Masters!!!!!!

I wonder if my learners have dreams for themselves and their lives. I don't get the opportunity to talk to them about such things. When they communicate with me it is simply regarding a question they have about their learning materials or their assessment. Sad really.

This random information made me smile today as my daughter read it out to me:
2006 in a nutshell
The new lawn bowls is darts.
The new Italy is Germany.
The new scrapbooking is baking.
The new sushi is burritos.
Courtesy Cleo Magazine, Jan 2006

What more can I say!

1 Comments:

  • My husband commented to me this morning, after reading my blog, that he believes I do have dreams and I do articulate them. He thinks I'm not consciously aware of them because I have put them on hold as I deal with the realities in front of me. Yesterday when I was thinking about dreams I came across this article and forgot to include it in my posting. It is entitled: Is procrastination killing your dreams?
    http://www.sandygeroux.com/download/Procrastination.pdf
    Maybe? Is this happening to you?

    By Blogger Marica Sevelj, at 11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home