Marica's meanderings

Sunday, January 01, 2006

Impossible.Yeah Right!

Sretna Nova Godina.
Happy New Year to all of you.

It is the 1st of January and what am I doing - I am at my computer. I am meant to be working on my Masters research but instead I want to blog. In the past month I have jotted down so many ideas that I have wanted to write about and they haven't yet surfaced where I want them to be - here in my blog! In the meantime I am determined to write more frequently in this space instead of on bits of paper which I accumulate and which never seem to go any further. As for my Masters research - well, it took a bit of a backwards step over most of December. The flow was definitely not happening at the rate necessary to finish it. Instead I am now punished. I start back at work on the 4th so I have three days to write. The final deadline is fast approaching and at this moment I feel it is all impossible and pointless.

The Oxford Dictionary defines impossible as:
'not able to occur, exist, or be done'.

I am reminded of a tee-shirt my nephew Mario was wearing the other day.

Front view
Impossible is nothing
Back view Impossible is nothing

I was fascinated by this message. Here I am wasting time convincing myself this challenge I have in front of me to finish writing up my research was impossible and I needed to change my thinking. I must mention that my husband has also being completing his Masters and he managed to get his over and done with before the end of 2005. A week before Christmas he received his result for his research paper - an A+ nonetheless - and it was all over for him. As for me I continue to drag this agony out.

A short while ago we had an MSN video conversation with close friends of ours who are currently living in New York. They finished the conversation so I could get to work and Colin said I need to stop prevaricating and get on with it. I looked up prevaricate in the dictionary as well. Am I acting evasively? Maybe. Am I going astray or transgressing? Definitely! I keep wondering who this person is that is doing this. I normally attack challenges but this one is truly getting the better of me.

It is New Year's Day. A New Year has begun. We are now in 2006. As I write I now think: Impossible. Yeah Right!

In New Zealand the Yeah Right billboards have almost become a cultural icon. These billboards are the product of a hugely successful marketing campaign for Tui Beer.

Yeah Right! Tui Breweries

The funny, topical, but almost always tongue-in-cheek, messages have been running on billboards around the country for almost seven years and have attracted a huge amount of interest.

A book has recently been produced off approximately 100 of the most popular billboards over the years. The public can also create the slogans by entering the Yeah Right Competition.

I love reading these billboards. I must admit though that I don't go out and rush and buy bottles of Tui beer. These billboards do have an impact on me for a brief moment in time in my day when I initially read them or when I think about what I have read later on. As for the phrase Yeah Right - it has entered our NZ vocabulary as a part of our everyday language. I am a marketers nightmare in one sense because I am not spending money on the product but in another sense I now automatically think of 'Beer and Tui' at the same time. My subconscious is indelibly affected.

Impossible. Yeah right!

I have to go do some academic writing. Maybe what I need to help me along the way is a beer.

3 Comments:

  • this is the first comment I have ever posted so here goes: You are an amazing person who has overcome some huge obsatcles in your time and has faced many a challenge and succeeded, even when it seemed 'impossible'. So the way I see it, this thesis is just a samll thing something that you are avoiding because in reality it is just so simple for you you don't feel like wasting your time on it. But guess what, you can do it, you will do it, we are all proud of you!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:01 PM  

  • Thank you. The comments on my blog these days just bring tears to my eyes and yours is no exception. I am working on getting this thesis out of my hair and then maybe I can get on with all the other things I want to do in my life.

    By Blogger Marica Sevelj, at 11:59 PM  

  • WOW ... what an awesome blog Marica (this is a new frontier for moi.I might be younger than you but am certainly not more savy!). I am SO impressed and, as always, very proud of you and all your achievements (yes, there are many!) I can't believe I haven't linked in before now. Well done!
    As for your masters thesis I know you can do it. After all you have mastered numerous bigger challenges over the years and with great aplomb. YOU TOO, know that you can do it. So, as the NIKE slogan goes ... "Just do it"!
    Love you sestro, VSV x

    By Blogger lil sis, at 12:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home