Marica's meanderings

Sunday, January 15, 2006

More words

As I was reading about data analysis today I came across this quote.

A word is not a crystal, transparent and unchanged, it is the skin of a living thought and may vary greatly in colour and content according to the circumstances and the time in which it is used.
Oliver Wendell Holmes

An interesting point to consider in light of the current controversy over James Frey's book A Million Little Pieces. I am still formulating my opinion on this one. Were the people really duped? Doesn't this happen on a daily basis in the popular media anyway. We don't see a song and dance act about that. In the long run we probably pay more for our newspapers, magazines, online news etc. than it costs us to buy a single book. Maybe we just need to accept different interpretations and get on with it. Reality may simply be that which is real to the person describing it. Maybe we should subscribe to the philosohy of believe what you want and forget about the rest. I'm not sure if I can do this though.

Ironically this all relates to the research I am writing up because I now need to analyse the words I have collected (my data) and interpret them, but eliminating bias from that interpretation is challenging.

I had better get back to it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home