Marica's meanderings

Sunday, January 15, 2006

Shiny sinks

2006 has got off to a flying start - writing, work, work, work, tragedy, unplanned family get togethers, questions about life and living (far too many actually), study, research, writing, plotting and scheming (or is this goal setting?????), and more writing - and I am still pondering 2005 - what happened last year and what I hope to achieve this year!

Every now and again I buy a Saturday newspaper. I do this for only one reason - to read the Recruitment Section. I never seem to read it on Saturday though. It usually sits there until Sunday morning as I am having my breakfast or a cup of coffee. I sit on the floor and spread out the pages in front of me. I still think this is the best way to read a newspaper. I tend to do a cursory glance over the various sections. I usually find nothing of interest so I head straight for the pull-out Recruitment Section (which by the way had nothing of interest in it today!).

This morning I did pick up something I want to share with you. It was tucked away in the corner of the Your Weekend page in another pullout section referred to as The Dominion Post Indulgence. Under the heading of web site I found a picture which caught my eye. The web site being reviewed was FlyLady.net and this is what Simon Kilroy wrote on page 22 :
FlyLady.net
The road to redemption begins, it seems, with a shiny sink. Or so this site would have you believe. It's designed as a not quite do-it-yourself guide for the desperate to removing clutter. Signing up, which is free, sees you getting emails sent to you each day giving you reminders of the tasks you need to carry out to live an orderly existence. There can be anything up to 20 a day from the FlyLady - aka Maria Cilley, whose sobriquet comes from her devotion to fly-fishing. The shiny sink is designed to give you something to feel good about among the squalor, and there are detailed instructions on how to achieve just the right degree of gleam. The site links to FlyLady forums around the world, including a New Zealand branch. It also includes a bragging area where users can send in their favourite throwing-out stories. One woman was particularly proud of having thrown out her husband's fingers, which had been severed in a lawn mower accident. He had been keeping them in the freezer as an interesting conversation piece. It's hard to know what is more disturbing: his belief that showing them off was a fun thing to do, or her glee in disposing of them.

I had to pay this web site a visit and you should too!
What is a woman to do?
Are YOU living in CHAOS (Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome) like Franny in the pink sweats? Do you feel overwhelmed, overextended, and overdrawn? Hopeless and you don't know where to start? Don't worry friend, we've been there, too.

How can anyone resist an invitation like this. Especially those of us that do feel like Franny!

Everyone needs help at some point in their lives to get through each day. Isn't it great the things we can learn from each other - even how to make your sink shiny! I love the way this site tries to motivate you about doing the ordinary everyday things while at the same time teaching important strategies that would otherwise come under the headings of time management, goal setting etc.

To be engaged and excited even about the most mundane things is something I would love for my learners. Learning is not always about the exciting. There are so many things we need to learn about that cannot be glamourised. They are the fundamentals. They are perceived as boring but without which other things doesn't make sense.

The Internet offers huge possibilities for us to engage our learners if only we can think differently and not be stuck in the models of the past. There is obviously a need for this type of thing and people are now able to just go out and do it for themselves at relatively little cost. If you have an idea you can give it a go online. To share ideas, resources, to sell products, to create, and by the looks of it to have fun in the process.

By the way males are not excluded either. For the male perspective there is Hey Tom.

I feel inspired. Have a wonderful week and don't forget to:
Day 1: Go shine your sink!

3 Comments:

  • My laundry sink is now so shiny, I can almost see my reflection - and despite the trials of the last few days - I am managing a smile!!!! Thank you Marica and thank you FlyLady....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:39 PM  

  • I just realised you have posted this comment twice. I have replied to it in the posting entitled "People who give unconditionally". I have not had much time to write this week - it turned out to be a long and very tiring week. However, I am surprised at the amount of laughs I have shared with others over the concept of 'shining your sink'. FlyLady is on to something here. I hope things improve for you soon. Much love, Marica

    By Blogger Marica Sevelj, at 12:56 PM  

  • Yes, sorrow about the duplication - just scrolled own one entry too many withour realising. Technowally at your service!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home